Day 4 (05/25/2014)- Trujillo

Bus Ride TrujilloAfter a long night of traveling, we made it to Trujillo at 8 a.m. After making sure all of our luggage arrived with us, we were taken to the Inca Link Trujillo bus. Though there seemed to be plenty of space in the bus, all of the luggage took up one row and we still had to fit about 25 people in it. Many people had to sit two to a seat. Some even fit five people in two seats! Luke ended up sitting in the aisle, which was a good thing later on because, since the luggage was piled up to the roof, there was nothing in front to hold it. So, Luke stood in front of the luggage and made sure it didn’t fall on anyone.

Driving up to the orphanage Pasitos de Fe brought emotions of excitement and joy, at least for me. I was excited to see all of the progress that had been made since I had been there last. I was joyful because our trip was finally over, at least for that day.

When we arrived, we had just enough time to change into clean clothes and eat breakfast before starting the race. The girls were given rooms on the second floor of the building where all of the children will stay and the guys were put on the first floor. It was so strange being able to sleep and eat in buildings that had not existed just five years ago!

Sandboarding TrujilloAfter breakfast, the interns were split into new teams for today’s race. The first challenge was sand boarding. Each team had to hike up a sand mountain and sand board down it to a certain spot in order to get their next clue. Many of the interns thought that sand boarding would be very similar to snowboarding, but it was not. They did not count on having so much sand in their shoes and then having to struggle to stay above the sand so that they wouldn’t sink into it before attempting to go down. However, all of the team members managed to sand board at least once down the mountain and were able to move on to the next challenge around the city.

The first half of the race ended with the interns going to the orphanage to eat lunch in the afternoon. Then, the interns were given an hour to rest before the second half of the race. Most of them went and took naps while others read or put on a change of clothes.

At 3 p.m., the second half of the race began. The first challenge was to mix cement to secure the phone lines just outside of the orphanage. Teams were required to dig a hole to the specific length requirements, pump air in the tires of the cement mixer, carry the mixer onto the orphanage property, start the cement mixer (much harder than it sounds), mix in the cement mix and the rocks and the sand, fill some buckets with the mixed cement, carry it to the hole they had dug and fill it with the cement.

Mixing Cement TrujilloWhen the first two teams finished mixing cement, they competed against each other in a variety of games. The best challenge of the day was one of the last challenges—the mud crawl. The Peruvians dug a trench in the sand, filled it with water, and put ropes on the top so the inters had to put their whole bodies under the mud. Two interns from each team were asked to go through the trench. Then, when they got out of the trench, they needed to build up one Jenga block. The team who built a bridge out of the block the fastest would win. Some of the interns asked if they could change their clothes into something that they didn’t mind getting dirty. Unfortunately, all of the interns had just washed the clothes that they had gotten dirty on the second day of the race in Colombia. Thankfully, the guys were given permission to complete the challenge without a shirt and the girls were given permission to wear tank tops. This made some of the interns more willing to compete and each team was able to choose their two representatives.

After all the teams finally completed the last challenge—having one person from the team find the cross at the edge of the property, grab their team color, and race back inside the orphanage—we were able to change, eat supper, and have about 45 minutes of free time/quiet time before our next debrief.

Ignacio y yo TrujilloWhen all the interns gathered in the chapel, Ignacio, an Inca Link missionary serving in Perú, talked to all of us about what our purpose is as interns. He said that God chose each and every one of us to serve this summer because he plans on using us in some way. After he closed in prayer, he had all of us move our chairs to the front of the chapel in a line and sit down. Then, Ignacio told us to spend a bit of quiet time with the Lord as he turned off the lights, lit some candles, and played music in the background. As Ignacio began to speak to us again and share his testimony, the others who work at the orphanage came out with buckets of water and began washing our feet. When every intern had gotten their feet washed, we all walked to the middle of the room, put our arms around each other, and prayed. As I looked around the room at all of us; Americans, Canadians, and Peruvians; praying to our God, I felt God confirming that all of us really were here for a specific reason.

– Olivia Brown, Intern 2014 (thanks to Isaac Heckert for pictures)